FROM DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION
Dear Religious School Families,
I am delighted to begin my third year as the Director of Education at Kehillat Ma’arav. Over the summer, we revisited some of our curriculum and materials in order to keep up with all of the innovative programming that is available, keeping our KM Religious School on the cutting edge of Jewish education.
You have chosen Kehillat Ma’arav to be the place where your children learn Jewish values and Torah. We take your trust in us very seriously, and acknowledge our responsibility in ensuring that Religious School be a safe and inviting place filled with meaningful experiences and Jewish learning. Our dynamic and engaging team of educators continues to go above and beyond what is expected of them, allowing our children to thrive in a loving Jewish environment. Each of our teachers is available to communicate with you regarding your children and their specific needs.
Our dedicated Rabbi and Cantor are very much involved and support our Religious School as well as the entire KM staff who work tirelessly behind the scenes. As a result of this committed team, we are able to provide our students and families with all the wonderful activities and programs planned for the year.
Kehillat Ma’arav strives to help our children develop positive attitudes toward being Jewish. One goal is to enhance their Jewish identity to not only their synagogue but to further enhance their Jewish identity into the home, by working with the entire family. We believe that through cooperation, family supporting school and school supporting family, we can teach our children and families that Jewish living and values are an important part of their lives.
Our Education Committee, headed up by Andrew Lippman and Allison Goldberger play a monumental role in all our schools efforts. We would like to encourage our parents to join our Education Committee, as we believe that it is as partners that we will be successful in instilling a love of Judaism for our children.
- We are very excited to introduce our new Joint Community High School program, Westside Chai” for 8th-10th graders. KM is partnering with Adat Shalom and Mishkon Tephilo for a true Westside Chai experience. Sunday, October 12 is our Pool Party Kick-Off Event at Sophie Goldberger’s house (5:30-8:00 pm). Please contact the synagogue office (310) 829-0566 to get the Goldberger’s address. Our new “Westside Chai” will be meeting at KM for the first Semester beginning on Tuesday, October 14th from 6:00-8:00 pm. Weekly dinner and snacks are included. Westside Chai High School program is open to all teens on the Westside.
- This year we are introducing Shabbat B’Yachad, a family Shabbat program offered six times a year on Shabbat mornings and Friday nights. The entire family will engage in Kabbalat Shabbat services, Shabbat morning services, family programs and activities, and festive Shabbat dinners and lunches.
Mark Your Calendars!
- First Tuesday of Religious School Tuesday, September 9th from 3:45-6:30 pm.
- First Sunday of Religious School and Parent Orientation Sunday, September 14th from 9:00 am-12:30 pm.
- Open House/Back-To-School-Day Sunday, November 9th. Your children would have already been in school for a month and a half and I’m sure you will have plenty of questions! This wonderful morning will allow for you to meet your child’s teacher and find out about the curriculum and all the excitement that is happening in the Religious School.
- Mid-Year Parent/Teacher Conferences on Sunday, February 22nd. This morning is designed to allow our parents the opportunity to meet their child’s teacher individually in order to review their child’s progress, behavior and accomplishments.
I feel privileged and blessed to be part of such a warm community of friends, with supportive families who share the same mission and vision for our Religious School. Once again, thank you for entrusting us with your children’s Jewish education.
Please remember Religious School and High School registration is underway… be sure to fill out your forms and return them to the KM office.
The Religious School would like to wish you a year filled with the wealth of Jewish teachings and traditions.
Sharone Weizman, M.Ed.
Director of Education